Music & Memory Intern
Dementia Alliance of North Carolina is a local non-profit looking for a passionate, creative, and innovative intern to assist with our Music and Memory at Home Program.
Music & Memory is an evidence-based program which helps people living with dementia find renewed joy and connection to life through musical favorites. Broken into development stages, Music & Memory is mission driven to engage individuals in any stage of dementia, producing music kits that are distributed to individuals living with dementia: each including a personalized playlist, player, headset and speaker. This transformative health and welfare program allows seniors to engage with music and reconnect with the world around them.
This is a 6-month, unpaid internship @15 hours per week. The intern will work closely with our program coordinator to implement our Music and Memory at Home Program.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Updating and maintaining a well-organized, computer-based music library with a varied content that mirrors program participant’s musical preferences.
- Discovering and researching program participant’s musical favorites and developing personalized playlists.
- Discovering clients musical favorites through music discovery parties with clients, family members and staff to develop personalized playlists.
- Managing loading and kit fulfillment as well as kit shipping.
- Working with volunteers to coordinate intake, music list development, music discovery parties and kit fulfillment.
- Serving as liaison with families to educate them about personalized music and gain buy-in and support of the program.
- Implementing an evaluation system to assess program effectiveness in terms of desired outcomes.
- Contributes to the team efforts by accomplishing related tasks as needed
- Completes other digital media projects and research projects as assigned
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- A passion for perfection in finding the right music for each individual
- Enjoys researching music titles online and onsite
- Understanding of iTunes and can organize iTunes Library using music downloads and CDs
- Logical, analytical mind
- Proficiency with technology: Interest in learning new and old concepts within computers
- Comfort with interviewing; interest in oral history and research is a plus
- Creative self-starter with a passion for senior community, Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Must be an effective communicator, both written and oral.
- Must be self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented, and be able to prioritize.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with the team
- Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university and in good standing.
- Must have experience with Zoom, iTunes and Google Drive Products.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be comfortable working primarily in-office.
Majors preferred: Gerontology, Music, Occupational Therapy, Communications, Marketing, Humanities or related major
Ready to Apply? Please send cover letter and resume to Jobs@DementiaNC.org by December 17, 2021 with the subject line “Music & Memory Intern”.